You are currently browsing the monthly archive for May 2011.
Man, it has been a long time, huh? Let me introduce myself. I am Cindy is Crafty…and I make things, too! Not so much since November of 2010 when my back odyssey began caused by the herniated a disc in my back. Since then, I have been to twice weekly physical therapy, taken mountains of anti-inflammatory pills, had two prednisone Z-packs, eaten lots more dairy (to help the anti-inflammatory go down), been within a month or two of being done with physical therapy, and then…
One of the exercises in PT I was doing wrong. I mentioned to the tech that I was “feeling it” in my lower back. The precise spot exactly where I injured my back. She replied, “that it what you should feel it is to strengthen you lower back.” Two weeks of this exercise and I was flat on my back again. Not quite at the starting over part, but pretty close. I was so ticked and frustrated.
Back to PT I found that the tech was no longer there and my PT told me that the exercise was for my core (read tummy area), not my lower back. A couple of weeks later after much protesting, we reintroduced that exercise the Praying Mantis. Now my tummy is hurting, but that is GOOD pain (I keep telling myself)! I am getting back to okay again, but it is going to take some time. It is hard to create when you can only stand to do so. I sit all day at my job so when I get home I use that time to walk, work on my home PT exercises, and to lie down in my special position with my torso propped on pillows to bow my back a bit and help with pushing the hernia back in. So that is my life lately.
The flickr Altered Dominos and Other Game Pieces Group held a swap. I was the organizer as I am one of the group’s moderators. The challenge was Rebirth. I thought that was appropriate since it was spring and I was in a rebirth myself. Rebirth always takes me to butterflies. I love that they start out as wooly worms, climb into a cocoon and then bing. bang. boom. they become butterflies. They get wings and they can fly. I decided to make a butterfly domino doll. I also challenged myself to use recycled materials in its creation to give the trash a rebirth, too.
The domino is from the thrift store, the bottle cap holding her face I found smashed in my driveway, the wings are made from a recycled soda can (A&W Root beer, one of my favs!).
I painted the bottle cap and domino blue. To the domino I added some glitter paint on top to give her a bit of a sparkle. The bottle cap I left with only the color. I twisted a bit of wire for the antennae. I stamped the wings using ink made for metal then carefully cut them out. The wings were a bit too shiny for her initially, so I put sewing pattern tissue on top of the front and back. The face image is from the Collage Images group, and I added a few gems to the wings for a bit of sparkle. On the back of the bottle cap I glued a vintage button to cover the back of the antennae and the toothpick I glued it to.
The only parts of my butterfly that are not recycled are her antennae, the gems on her wings and the paint I used. I think she meets the criteria for rebirth! How about you?
Now, let’s work on my rebirth, shall we?
It is hard to make a fabric ATC without using your sewing machine, but I pulled it together. It kind of bugs me that the edges are not sealed, but I will learn to live with it! The back still will not permit me to sit at the sewing machine, and since I was grossly late for my cards for Kate’s B-day ATC Swap, I decided to press on.
The ATC was created using some Japanese silk fat quarters that I scored at a local thrift a while ago. In scouting Michaels in order to spend my gift card I received for my birthday, I found the geisha stamp. The bunny is a punch from a Japanese novel, and the flower and gem added for some extra sparkle.
The fat quarters came in 8 colors, but I only used 4. I cut them in 2” strips and laid them beside one another on the timtek and then fused it. I rubber stamped the geishas in a repeat on the fabric. I adhered the bunny punch (I was born in the year of the rabbit) with some mod podge to give it a good seal. I glued on the flower and the gem. The beads were sewn on for a bit of sparkle.
I made 18 in all while I was at it. That will take care of the year except for the November birthdays. I was late for November of 2010 so couldn’t send them two! LOL!
I spent yesterday evening addressing, stamping the envelopes and adding a note. Tomorrow is mail day.